Summer Learning Adventures Camp
Summer 2015 Informal Educator Internship Description
Applications Due: April 4, 2015
All volunteer and internship programs are unpaid. Housing and transportation is not provided.
SLA Informal Educator Interns will:
If you are interested in a summer internship with Birch Aquarium at Scripps, please read all of the information below.
We are looking for someone who:
- Gain valuable experience with professionals in science education
- Learn skills and techniques to communicate science to the public
- Work as part of a dynamic team to create
educational and memorable summer camp experiences
- Build lasting professional and personal
- Serve as an extension of the instructors to support learning
- Work with a mentor to identify goals for your summer camp experience
- Is a high school or college student (must be at least 16)
- Wants to work with campers age 4-15 in a fun learning environment
- Has an interest in marine science and/or education
- Has access to reliable transportation
- Has experience as a strong swimmer, snorkeler, surfer, and/or kayaker (preferred, but not required)
Required Orientation Dates: June 15 - 19, 9 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
- Demonstrating science concepts and interpreting hands-on live animal displays
- Facilitating games and crafts
- Assisting campers during snorkel, surf, and water experiences
- Preparing and cleaning up materials/supplies
- Helping to ensure safety and camp success for all involved, including campers, peers, and volunteers
Dates and Work Schedule
- Get to know your fellow interns and staff
- Visit offsite camp locations for water-activity orientation
- Learn all you need to know about the Summer Camp program
- Discover what your role will be
Interns are required to be available June 15 through August 21, 2015, a total of ten weeks. Schedules vary each week and will be pre-assigned.
You will be notified of your shifts one
month prior to the beginning of camp. During camp weeks, you may be scheduled for full-day or half-day camps.
UCSD is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.
If you have any questions, please call 858-822-5331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your application.