Summer Youth Interns at Birch Aquarium
Youth Summer Interns
Program full for 2013
As a Youth Summer Intern (YSI), you will help guests of all ages explore the wonders of sharks and rays by interpreting exhibits and hands-on discovery stations throughout the aquarium.
- Greet, orient and provide information to guests
- Instill a sense of respect and stewardship towards sharks and rays
- Communicate the value and importance of science research in understanding local shark populations
- Increase awareness of importance and positive effects of marine protected areas
- Lead formal scripted presentations to the public in front of the shark tank exhibit
- Participate in the July 20th shark-themed SEA Days event held at Birch Aquarium
- Complete a group project and present to staff and peers
- Work with a diverse group of volunteers and staff in a fun environment
- Perform additional duties as needed
Benefits of Service:
- Training in general marine science and interpretive skills
- Learn about research programs at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and the internal workings of an aquarium/museum
- Workplace experience, such as communication, accountability and collaboration
- Free admission to the aquarium during public hours
- 10% discount at the aquarium Gift Shop and Splash! Café
- Field trips when available
- Certificate of completion and high school credit (applicant must meet with their school’s program advisors to determine if they are eligible.)
Required Training & Internship Dates:
- Mandatory training is from June 17-21, 2013, 1-5 p.m. most days
- Internship runs from June 17-August 23, 2013
- Schedules may vary (9 a.m.-1 p.m., 12:30-4:30 p.m.).
- Participants are required to work a minimum of 15 hours a week.
- All participants need to be in attendance on Wednesdays from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
Friday, April 19, 2013. Interviews will occur from late April to mid May. Applicants will be notified no later than May 24, 2013.
All volunteer and internship positions are unpaid.
Attendance at a group interview is required.
Mail Application to:
Interpretive Volunteer Programmer
c/o: Lisa Gilfillan
Birch Aquarium at Scripps
Scripps Institution of Oceanography, UCSD
9500 Gilman Drive, Dept. 0207
La Jolla, CA 92093-0207
If you have any questions, please call 858-534-5647 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your application.