Youth Summer Interns
As a Youth Summer Intern (YSI),
you will help guests of all ages explore the wonders of sharks and rays by
interpreting exhibits, facilitating hands-on discovery stations and leading
formal presentations throughout the aquarium.
- Greet, orient and provide information to guests
- Lead formal and informal presentations to the public
- Facilitate guest interactions at hands-on discovery stations
- Instill a sense of respect and stewardship towards sharks and rays
- Communicate the value and importance of science research in understanding local shark populations
- Increase awareness of importance and positive effects of marine protected areas
- Complete a group project and present to staff and peers
- Work with a diverse group of volunteers and staff in a fun environment
- Perform additional volunteer duties as needed
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have excellent communication skills
- Have ability to engage visitors of all ages
- Positive attitude desirable
- Be punctual, reliable, professional and flexible
- Be able to work as part of a team
- Have basic knowledge of biology with an interest in marine science
- Take initiative, recognize tasks and do them
- Be able to lift 15 pounds
- Be able to work indoors and outdoors
Benefits of Service:
- Training in areas of marine science and interpretive skills
- Exposure to research programs at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, and the internal workings of an aquarium/museum
- Weekly professional development/continuing education opportunities
- Field trips when available
- Workplace experience (professionalism, communication skills, accountability and collaboration)
- Free admission to the aquarium during public hours
- 10% discount at the aquarium Bookshop and Splash! Café
Required Training & Internship Dates:
- Mandatory training is from June 15-19, 2015, 1-5 p.m. most days
- Internship runs from June 22-August 21, 2015
- Participants are required to work a minimum of 15 hours a week
- Schedules vary (shifts are either 9 a.m.-1 p.m. or 12:30-4:30 p.m.)
- All participants need to be in attendance on Wednesdays from 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Participate in the July 19th shark-themed SEA Days event held at Birch Aquarium
Friday, April 3, 2015, at 5 p.m.
Interviews will occur in April/May
All volunteer and internship positions are unpaid.
Attendance at a group interview is required.
If you have any questions, please call 858-534-5647 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to receiving your application.